Personal Support Worker, Surgery
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Job Type
- Part Time
- Closed Date
Cambridge Memorial Hospital (CMH) is a thriving community hospital that proudly provides acute care services including: Emergency, Surgery, Medicine, Women’s and Children’s Health, Intensive Care, Mental Health, and Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation.
Our vision is to provide exceptional healthcare by exceptional people. Our dedicated and skilled staff are passionate about providing outstanding patient-centred care, and an exceptional patient experience to residents of the Waterloo Region and beyond.
Join CMH as it leads in innovation and compassion! With a beautiful and caring community like no other, you are not just expanding our career; you are enhancing your life! To learn more about CMH, please visit our website at www.cmh.org.
Reporting to the Manager of Inpatient Surgery, the Personal Support Worker provides personal care for patients and supports patient flow within the hospital as required. The Personal Support Worker communicates effectively with patients, staff and families, and provides excellent customer service at all times. Responsibilities include assisting patients with activities of daily living, measuring vital signs, and practicing to the scope of their education. Documentation in the electronic record is required for care provided. This position works co-operatively with team members and receives direction from Registered staff. The incumbent demonstrates professional responsibility and demonstrates actions consistent with hospital policies and procedures. This is a part-time position to work all shifts including days, nights and evenings, as well as weekends and holidays.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) Certificate from a recognized college/private career college or school board is required
- Current BCLS Certification
- 2-3 years current experience as Personal Support Worker required
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of patient populations
- Recent experience in a hospital environment preferred
- Recent experience in a surgical setting is preferred
- Proficient computer experience and excellent keyboarding skills is preferred
- Previous experience with Meditech system is an asset
- Working knowledge of routine practices related to Infection Control required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ongoing commitment to continuous learning is preferred
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Proven dedication to an interdisciplinary team approach
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and be flexible
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis is required
The successful external applicant is required to provide the applicable criminal record check, as requested by Human Resources, in accordance with federal and provincial legislation. Valid criminal record checks are in original format and dated with two months from date of conditional offer from CMH.
Cambridge Memorial Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace. All reasonable accommodation will be made to support participation in the recruitment process. Where needed, accommodations for disabilities will be provided, on request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.