Hand Hygiene Specialist
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Infection Control
- Job Type
- Part Time Contract
- Closed Date
We are a large acute care, community hospital serving Cambridge, North Dumfries and the Region of Waterloo with 280 physicians, 1100 full- and part-time professional health care staff and more than 500 active volunteers. Our vision is to provide exceptional healthcare by exceptional people, with an emphasis on giving patients and their families an exceptional experience when they visit our hospital. With help from our Foundation partners and our supportive community, we purchase over $4 million of medical equipment each and every year to help ensure you will work with the best tools possible when caring for your patients. In collaboration with universities and colleges, we are also a teaching and placement site for medical, nursing and allied health programs. To learn more about Cambridge Memorial Hospital (CMH), please visit our website at www.cmh.org.
You will join CMH as we embrace a new era of care, expanded services and innovation. Construction is underway of a modern 5-storey tower and total renovation of all existing inpatient care and clinical support areas. Upon completion in 2022, our new hospital will contain:
- Patient care areas that are doubling in size, including larger surgical suites to accommodate advanced minimally invasive surgical equipment and an Emergency Department with dedicated treatment areas for mental health and different surgical subspecialties
- A patient-centred building design that promotes healing and intuitive wayfinding, while maximizing natural lighting and sight lines to the natural beauty of the Grand River
- An increase in beds from 143 to 197 to accommodate expanded services like Surgery, Mental Health and Intensive Care. About 80% of inpatient rooms will be single occupancy to meet the latest infection control and building code standards for hospitals
- Auditing- conduct auditing of hand hygiene compliance in all departments at CMH
- Reporting-Provide regular reports to Infection Control Practitioners and Director of Laboratory, Cardiac Diagnostics, and Infection Prevention & Control regarding hand hygiene program and compliance rates
- Data Entry & Analysis- Regularly review hand hygiene compliance rates, determine areas requiring follow-up and develop strategies to assist improvements
- Education- Work closely with the Infection Control Practitioners to ensure that hand hygiene education is integrated into orientation and annual reviews for all staff as well as training auditors in clinical areas
- Program Development- Work closely with Infection Control Practitioners on the development of hand hygiene program
- External Reporting- Prepare reports for review by the Infection Control Practitioners for public reporting
- Performs cross-functional and or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested. Infection Prevention and Control Education and documentation as assigned.
- Works in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations, reporting hazards, deficiencies and contraventions of the Act in a timely manner.
The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to prolonged sitting, standing, walking, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling. This position contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Successful completion of secondary school required
- Community College Diploma Program, certificate, or degree/discipline or recognized equivalent in Infection, Prevention and Control required
- Three to five years of current practical and related experience required.
- Excellent knowledge of medical terminology is required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Proven education and training skills
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply Infection Prevention and Control best practice related to hand hygiene and (Health Canada, PIDAC)
- Effective written, communication and presentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, database software and data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Ability to develop partnerships with key stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and model positive change
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis is required
Cambridge Memorial Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace. All reasonable accommodation will be made to support participation in the recruitment process. Where needed, accommodations for disabilities will be provided, on request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
The conditionally successful applicant may be required to provide the applicable criminal record check, as requested by Human Resources, in accordance with federal and provincial legislation. Valid criminal record checks are in original format and dated within two months from date of conditional offer from CMH.