Specialist, Research Communications
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Marketing & Communications team at Baycrest has an opportunity for a
SPECIALIST, RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS
TEMPORARY FULL TIME - 1 YEAR CONTRACT
NON-UNION, 70 HOURS BI-WEEKLY
The Baycrest Foundation has an opportunity for a Research Communications Specialist. This position, covering a maternity leave for 12 months, will support the Foundation by developing marketing communications strategies and deliverables that will further the organization’s fundraising efforts through initiatives focused around Research. The Research Communications Specialist will build strong relationships in order to effectively support: pursuing opportunities to promote research at Baycrest and Baycrest’s Rotman Research Institute through various media; ensuring digital (social/internet/intranet vehicles) are current, informative and appealing; developing creative ways to link, leverage, market and disseminate research information using traditional, digital and electronic applications in support of compelling research asks and reports for donors large and small, a broad range of fundraising efforts and profile raising activities.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Develops and implements strategic communication plans to increase research information sharing through a lens of fundraising support.
- Works in support of integrating Research into Baycrest communications; particularly identifying media relations opportunities and supporting the Senior Communications Advisor – Media Relations in the identification and distillation of newsworthy items
- Drafts press releases, pitches research-specific stories and experts to media and liaises with stakeholder partners to improve the dissemination of research news to support awareness, promotion and fundraising related to research activities
- Leads media training opportunities targeting researchers and provides interview support to improve brand awareness and encourage research dissemination to prospective donors
- Works to identify opportunities for donor support or interest and completes the background research, information distillation and creation of compelling research asks for donors utilizing research, writing and design skills
- Manages the marketing of the annual Rotman Research Institute conference to improve accessibility to research and improve awareness among donors and stakeholders
Qualifications (include but are not limited to):
- Degree or diploma in Journalism or Public Relations/Communications
- Minimum of 5 years relevant communications experience including writing, editing, strategic communications planning, issues and reputation management, media relations and social media
- Previous experience working in a research and/or healthcare environment
- Previous experience in a fundraising environment
- Experience taking complex concepts and research/scientific language and distilling into consumable content across a variety of channels/audiences
- Experience putting together reports featuring research material and written for non-research audience
- Experience navigating the communication channels most closely related to the healthcare communities in Toronto, Canada, North America, and globally
- Comprehensive understanding of fundamental principles of communications planning, execution and measurement
- Demonstrated understanding of social and digital media
- Strong ability to work independently and proactively to seek out opportunities for contributions, identify needs within the organization, and the ability to take initiative to get projects started and accomplished with minimal supervision
- Strong proficiency in the Microsoft suite of software, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software suite (including MS Project, Visio, Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Social media platforms
Remarkable people of Baycrest Health Sciences are changing the future of brain health and aging.
Thank you for your interest in joining Baycrest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful candidates will be required to complete a police reference check/vulnerable sector screen. As staff we all share in maintaining a safe care environment for clients, families, and visitors and a safe work environment for staff, students, researchers, physicians and volunteers. Baycrest is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at 416-785-2500, ext. 2961.
- Job Location
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Position Type