Occupational Health & Safety Specialist
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The Occupational Health & Safety department at Baycrest
has an opportunity for an
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY SPECIALIST
Baycrest has a full-time position for an Occupational Health & Safety Specialist who plays a pivotal role in addressing staff wellness and the prevention of illness and injury in the workplace. This role supports the OHS and divisional goals of ensuring we are fostering a positive employee experience by engaging employees and keeping them at work and well. The OHS Safety Specialist will be involved in responding to safety issues and proactive safety practices/measures to prevent or minimize injuries in the workplace. Reporting to the Manager, Occupational Health & Safety, the OHS Specialist will:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as the organizations subject matter expert on occupational health and safety by providing technical knowledge and oversight expertise in safety management systems, safety and compliance, incident assessment and regulatory compliance.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety policies and relevant legislation
- Develop and maintain safety management system elements (programs, policies, procedures, processes, tools and training) that adhere to regulatory requirements and best practices while meeting operational needs and constraints.
- Assist and advise in the implementation of safety management system elements.
- Conduct investigations of safety incidents in collaboration with Baycrest manager, identify root cause(s) and work to develop effective corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
- Analyze safety performance data, identify risk(s) and report on trends and potential hazards.
- Perform safety and quality audits to validate compliance to the safety management systems and improve overall operational efficiency.
- Develop safety management performance metrics and collaborate with internal/external stakeholders to ensure that data is collected, compiled, and reported consistently.
- Provide technical expertise to develop, deliver and maintain critical Safety training programs.
- Develop and monitor accident reporting and investigation processes
- Schedule and assist with JOHSC inspections
- Support managers with departmental inspections
- Develop and maintain accident/incident statistics and safety metrics
- Demonstrated ability to meet professional clinical infection control protocols.
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Completion of a degree in Safety, Environmental, Engineering or, a related discipline – or a combination of education, training, and experience deemed equivalent CRSP designation would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Human Resources legislation (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, etc.) to monitor employees and contractors for legal/regulatory and policy compliance relating to systems safety.
- Min four (4) years safety experience
- Previous experience in a health care environment (hospital or long term care)and knowledge of health care roles/duties an asset
- Experience with inspections and investigations required
- Experience and knowledge of WSIB requirements
- Experience providing incident/accident prevention and training programs
- Above average skills with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to handle issues involving internal and external stakeholders.
- Designing, developing, and delivering effective training sessions to internal and external audiences.
- Planning, investigating and analyzing skills, including quantitative analysis, process analysis, and performance analysis.
- Superior verbal, written and listening communications skills
- Ability to communicate functional, assessment and technical information
- Time management and organizational skills are critical to manage programs, ensuring programs and registrations occur in a timely manner.
Internal applicants: It is preferred that you submit your application online via our intranet. Please ensure that your updated resume is submitted with your application. Failure to submit your resume, may affect your candidacy for this position.
External applicants: Please submit your application online by clicking the Apply button below.
Internal Expiry Date: June 5, 2019
Posting # 19-0318
Remarkable people of Baycrest Health Sciences are changing the future of brain health and aging.
Thank you for your interest in joining Baycrest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful candidates will be required to complete a police reference check/vulnerable sector screen. As staff we all share in maintaining a safe care environment for clients, families, and visitors and a safe work environment for staff, students, researchers, physicians and volunteers. Baycrest is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at 416-785-2500, ext. 2961.
- Job Location
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Position Type