- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Food & Nutrition Services Department (Production) has an opportunity for a
COOK’S HELPER, CASUAL
SEIU Hourly Pay Rate: $22.1281 -$22.6135
The Food and Nutrition Services Department at Baycrest provides service to clients in the Baycrest Centre, the Apotex Jewish Home for the Aged, the Mountainview and Freeman Day Centres and the Terraces at Baycrest Retirement Home. Our vision is to provide safe, appetizing food of optimum nutritional quality to facilitate an enjoyable mealtime experience for patients, residents, staff and visitors in compliance with the Jewish laws of Kashruth.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists with food preparation by following the Kashruth dietary laws and adheres to food handling methods according to established standards of sanitations and safety
- Works under the direction of a Cook in the following areas: food preparation such as sandwiches, chicken station, soups.
- Ensures all products are labeled and stock rotated in fridges and freezers, maintaining inventory control.
- Prepares and serves assigned items attractively, accurately, at the appropriate temperature specified and in accordance with standard recipes and portion sizes.
- Adheres to food handling methods according to established standards of sanitation, infection control and safety in accordance with Ministry of Health Long Term Care Standards, The Occupational Health and Safety Act and departmental policies
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- High school completion or equivalent
- Chef training certificate from an accredited college required
- Previous experience in large quantity food preparation and presentation, preferably in healthcare or a long term care setting required
- Demonstrated knowledge of the use of large scale equipment
- Excellent understanding of general food service equipment, sanitation methods as well as cook-chill/re-therm systems
- Current Food Handlers certification as required by Public Health
- Previous experience working with the elderly is an asset
- Effective customer service, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team
Remarkable people of Baycrest Health Sciences are changing the future of brain health and aging.
Thank you for your interest in joining Baycrest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful candidates will be required to complete a police reference check/vulnerable sector screen. As staff we all share in maintaining a safe care environment for clients, families, and visitors and a safe work environment for staff, students, researchers, physicians and volunteers. Baycrest is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at 416-785-2500, ext. 2961.
- Job Location
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Position Type