After Hours Supervisor
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The Jewish Home for the Aged, Apotex at Baycrest has an opportunity for an
AFTER HOURS SUPERVISOR, CLINICAL OPERATIONS,
Non-Union, Evenings & Weekends
Apotex is a Baycrest Long Term Care facility with units ranging from Physical Support to Stroke and Cognitive Support to Mental Health Units. Our residents require assistance to enable them to continue to live their lives and fulfill their goals and daily activities. Our staff members work diligently with our clients and assist them in managing conditions common with aging such as physical (e.g. from ambulating independently to being wheel-chair bound), mental health, cognitive (from mild to severe including Dementia and Alzheimer) and stroke issues.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages overall clinical operations to ensure timely transfers, and appropriate staffing levels;
- Acts as the on site Manager and escalation point for clinical and operational matters, and supports staff during evenings
- Circulates through clinical areas to ensure units are running in a smooth manner;
- Authorizes and optimizes the use of staff resources including replacement and deployment of staff, ensuring appropriate staffing levels and skills mix;
- Promotes a patient & family-centred care approach and includes interprofessional team members in responding to issues identified by patients and families;
- Develops a positive climate among staff and provides support in problem solving, managing conflict and facilitating resolutions;
- Acts as a knowledgeable and supportive resource by attending to urgent and crisis situations including Emergency Codes;
- Supports compliance with legislated requirements (including after-hours Critical Incident/Mandatory reporting to the MOHLTC), professional, and accreditation standards for care and safety;
- Champions health and safety and infection control practices in the workplace;
- Liaises with external agencies, community partners, and the general public;
- Provides shift-based documentation to ensure continuity;
- Communicates with Clinical Managers and Directors for clinical, non-clinical, and performance issues;
- Hours of work include evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as occasional weekdays.
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Master’s degree preferred;
- Current and valid Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification;
- Significant experience in long term care sector, with at least 3 years in a management role;
- Ability to engage and support staff in carrying out job duties;
- Demonstrated excellence in written, verbal communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Highly developed critical thinking skills, including an ability to conceptualize problems, quickly analyze and make decisions;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make decisions, exercise judgement and initiative;
- Excellent time management with ability to coordinate several activities, with attention to detail and an ability to prioritize;
- Knowledge of and proficiency of computer applications and industry information systems (Meditech, PCC);
- Knowledge and application of collective agreements, and legislation provisions which impact on work (Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act);
- Knowledge and proficiency with staff scheduling, labour relations and LTC home operations and LTCH Act and Regulations.
- Satisfactory attendance record.
Internal applicants: It is preferred that you submit your application online via our intranet. Please ensure that your updated resume is submitted with your application. Failure to submit your resume, may affect your candidacy for this position.
External applicants: Please submit your application online by clicking the Apply button below.
Internal Expiry Date: July 12, 2019
Posting #: 19-0429
Remarkable people of Baycrest Health Sciences are changing the future of brain health and aging.
Thank you for your interest in joining Baycrest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful candidates will be required to complete a police reference check/vulnerable sector screen. As staff we all share in maintaining a safe care environment for clients, families, and visitors and a safe work environment for staff, students, researchers, physicians and volunteers. Baycrest is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at 416-785-2500, ext. 2961.
- Job Location
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Position Type