Accountant, Research & Innovation
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation at Baycrest has an opportunity for an
ACCOUNTANT, RESEARCH & INNOVATION - FULL TIME
Non-Union, 70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Reporting to the Director, Finance & Operations, the Accountant -Research and Innovation is responsible for the general day-to-day accounting and financial responsibilities that support the Rotman Research Institute (RRI) and the Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation (CABHI). This role is accountable for the accurate and timely recording of transactions in the General Ledger, preparing and completing all approved transfers and other accounting related duties as determined from time to time. This position contributes deliberately to the financial well-being of the organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and records receipt of external research grants/awards
- Coordinates and records internal/external billings, invoices, cheques, recoveries and Foundation funding for research operations and various grants
- Approves, prints, records and releases research subject vouchers and reconciles petty cash
- Reviews and ensures expenditures comply with Baycrest and/or funding agency expense policies
- Reviews and processes other vendor invoices and purchase orders
- Reviews and processes imaging invoices as approved by principal investigators/scientists
- Works with SFA to compile monthly internal financial statements for Research Operations and Grants, including account reconciliations, aged listings and cash flow forecasts
- Coordinates and records disbursement of CABHI funding/awards
- Coordinates and records internal/external billings, recoveries and government funding
- Coordinates the receipt and review of interim/final financial reports from CABHI projects
- Works with SFA to compile and review monthly internal financial statements for CABHI Operations, including account reconciliations, aged listings and cash flow forecasts
- Reports financial performance, operations and other items to Manager, Finance and Operations (CABHI) as required and upon request
- Is first point of contact for any day-to-day accounting or transactional related enquiries pertaining to Research and Innovation activities
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Professional Accountant designation (or equivalent)
- University degree with a specialization in business administration, health administration, management, research, innovation or equivalent
- Second Degree, Post-Graduate or other professional finance designation or other certifications an asset (e.g. controllership, strategic analytics, NPO finance leadership, supply chain management, fraud, finance, tax, six sigma)
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in Research, Innovation or Healthcare sector
- Minimum two (2) years of broad base accounting experience and finance expertise in public/private sector, government or NPO’s.
- Understanding of the financial structure of research institutions an asset
- Understanding of the funding landscape and reporting guidelines within the Tri-Council (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) and equivalents an asset
- Must have sufficient breadth and depth of understanding of financial concepts, transactions and accounting treatment
- Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Prophix, Smartstream
- Excellent oral, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Collaborates, obtains feedback and seeks consensus where possible
- Must have excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent critical thinking and attention to detail
- Knowledge of research environment related to grant submission, ethics process
- Knowledge of auditing function, process and requirements
- Knowledge of policies governing health care information
Internal applicants: It is preferred that you submit your application online via our intranet. Please ensure that your updated resume is submitted with your application. Failure to submit your resume, may affect your candidacy for this position.
External applicants: Please submit your application online by clicking the Apply button below.
Internal Expiry Date: April 23, 2019
Posting # 19-0190
Remarkable people of Baycrest Health Sciences are changing the future of brain health and aging.
Thank you for your interest in joining Baycrest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All successful candidates will be required to complete a police reference check/vulnerable sector screen. As staff we all share in maintaining a safe care environment for clients, families, and visitors and a safe work environment for staff, students, researchers, physicians and volunteers. Baycrest is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at 416-785-2500, ext. 2961.
- Job Location
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Position Type