To undertake the role of pro-active corporate advocate for the health and enhancement of TRCA watersheds, waterfront and Lake Ontario. Provide strategic oversight to multi-stakeholder watershed planning, reporting, advocacy and engagement programs for the organization; be a major relationship manager at a senior level facilitating strong alliances with senior government staff, elected representatives, stakeholders, community organizations, businesses and watershed residents. Develop innovative flagship projects and programs to facilitate implementation of TRCA’s corporate and watershed priorities and manage the secretariat /governance bodies of major stakeholder collaboration initiatives and watershed-based citizen committees. Provide strategic input to planning, policy and development review, environmental assessments and municipal master planning activities in the watershed. Support TRCA municipal budget process working closely with the Finance Division. Other administrative responsibilities include: management oversight of watershed service teams and project budgets; supervising staff and guiding their professional development, and preparing internal and Authority reports and communications.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 4 year University degree in environmental sciences, engineering, planning, public administration/management, or environmental studies is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Ten (10) years of work experience in natural resource management, urban sustainability, climate change and integrated watershed planning and management settings.
- Thorough knowledge of TRCA watersheds, land use issues, and environmental management methods.
- In-depth understanding of and extensive experience in integrated watershed planning and management.
- Knowledge of Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27, provincial and municipal land use and environmental legislation, regulations and policies relevant to watershed management.
- Good working knowledge of the Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Protection Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Clean Water Act, and associated regulations and related legislation.
- Good working knowledge of the federal Fisheries Act, Canada Water Act, Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, and associated regulations and related legislation.
- Good to excellent working knowledge of Canada-US Agreement on Great Lakes Water Quality and the work of the International Joint Commission.
- Excellent knowledge of political processes in both municipal and provincial government.
- Excellent understanding of financial management in municipal government and other levels of government and public sector organizations.
- Excellent working knowledge of best practices in community consultation and engagement.
- Well-versed in best practices in partnership and business development.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Ontario Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, and federal, municipal and urban land use planning and land development policies and regulatory processes.
- Aptitude for excellent client relations, established network of senior agency staff, elected representatives and other strategic contacts.
- Advanced skills in Public relations, Organizational leadership and change management, partnership and business development, strategic planning, Fundraising, Watershed planning and watershed management, and municipal finance.
- Demonstrated ability in innovation, situation analysis, problem solving, program development and management.
- Excellent communications skills, including media.
- Leadership skills, high EQ, ability to form partnerships and sustain strategic long term business relationships and successfully manage diverse teams.
- Occupational Health and Safety.
- Valid Ontario G driver’s licence.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.