Reporting to the Associate Director, Communications and Events, the Media Relations Specialist plays a key role in building awareness, understanding and advocacy for TRCA and its programs; engaging key stakeholders; and acquiring and retaining TRCA customers and clients by encouraging media exposure of TRCA, its activities and services in support of TRCA’s strategic priorities.
Collaborating with the Chief Executive Officer’s Office, Senior Leadership Team, the Communications and Events team, divisions across the organization, and external suppliers, the Media Relations Specialist prioritizes, plans and executes programs and activities to generate optimal media coverage for TRCA. The position serves as the primary point of contact for all media inquiries ensuring that TRCA responds effectively; builds relationships with key editors, journalists and bloggers; and prepares and distributes messages and materials for media use. This position is also responsible for identifying issues, trends and current events to seize opportunities for enhanced media coverage/exposure for TRCA.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A degree or diploma in journalism, corporate communications, public relations or a related area.
- Three (3) or more years of directly related work experience including hands-on experience in executing corporate and local media campaigns.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that include the ability to translate complex, technically oriented information into accessible language, and versatility to adapt communications to a broad range of audiences.
- Strong understanding of contemporary media relations practice and principles.
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills that support collaboration.
- Ability to connect the needs of business units with those of the relevant media.
- Ability to make considered and effective decisions quickly, often without the benefit of full information.
- Ability to multitask, with immediate, short-term, medium-term and long-term deliverables always in progress. Ability to work on tight deadlines and excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong digital media experience that support a “digital-first” approach to media relations.
- Availability to work after hours.
- Valid Ontario "G" Driver’s Licence.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.