Contract Duration: 2 Year Contract Position
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Environmental Monitoring Projects, the Environmental Technologist, Aquatic Habitat Toronto is responsible for the administration of the multi-level government programming committee for waterfront projects and initiatives, and provides a single point of contact with multiple stakeholders.
This position also supports the planning, development, monitoring, and implementation of specific habitat creation, restoration, and monitoring projects that are priorities of the Toronto Waterfront Aquatic Habitat Restoration Strategy. This position also aids the Senior Manager, Environmental Monitoring Projects with securing project approvals and preparing work plans and is the point of contact for media relations, technical and environmental information for Aquatic Habitat Toronto.
This position plays an integral role in supporting TRCA’s ongoing commitment to healthy rivers, shorelines, greenspace and biodiversity by collecting and overseeing the collection of information that allows TRCA and its partner organizations to better understand and monitor ecosystem function, identify new threats such as invasive species and evaluate the effectiveness of our efforts to protect, manage and restore greenspace.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field; or equivalent amount of relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in environmental projects and programs.
- Knowledge of terrestrial and aquatic ecology, habitat restoration, fish and wildlife management, and lake based environmental monitoring techniques.
- Knowledge of legislation, policies and procedures relevant to habitat creation and restoration projects.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public; experience with the media an asset.
- Valid Ontario G Class Driver’s Licence.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.