Length: Full-time (2 Positions),
Temporary Full-time (for up to approximately 24 months) (2 Positions)
Department/Division: Corporate Services/Facilities & Fleet Management
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1883
Salary: $64,919.40 – $73,764.60 per annum
Location: Courthouse, 20 Weber St. E., Kitchener
Closing Date: October 16, 2018
Description of Duties:
Coordinates, controls, and administers corporate renovation and construction projects including project planning, design, inspections, and administering/accepting contractor work.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of construction, architecture, building related engineering, site work, building envelope, structural, designated substances, health and safety regulations/act, and mechanical and electrical systems (lighting, plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning) acquired through a 3-year diploma/degree (with certification/eligibility for CET certification at the technologist level OR certification/eligibility to practice in Ontario as a Certified Facility Manager) plus 3 years of related project management/coordination experience in the construction industry.
• Knowledge and ability to comply with policies and procedures; legislation, regulations, and industry standards (e.g., building codes, Ontario Fire Marshall’s Regulations, Insurance Advisory Council Regulations, Landlord and Tenant Act, CSA Standards, Forms of Agreement, particularly the Canadian Standard Form of Construction Document, standards for steel, concrete, masonry, timber, electrical, and mechanical work).
• Knowledge of contract law as it relates to building construction and renovation projects.
• Organizational and problem solving skills to create work schedules, prioritize and plan work within timelines; maintain records; and adapt to changing demands and conditions.
• Communication, negotiation, and human relations skills to provide/exchange technical information and maintain relationships with contactors, project teams, and other stakeholders; provide project updates to clients; present project related reports to senior staff and committees; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read and understand construction contracts, drawings, reports, standards and specifications, and suppliers instructions. Ability to write construction reports using specialized technical vocabulary, log reports, letters to contractors/consultants and architects, and building notices to building occupants.
• Ability to travel to within Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Oct 16, 2018 quoting competition number 2018-1813, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3