Department/Division: Community Services/Seniors’ Services
Hours of Work: 38.75 hours per week
Maintenance Pattern 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., every third weekend
Union: Unifor Local 1106
Wage: $24.21 – $25.43 per hour
Location: Sunnyside Home, 247 Franklin St. N., Kitchener
Closing Date: September 23, 2018
Description of Duties:
To assist the Chief Building Operator, Maintenance (Sunnyside) and Senior Maintenance Technician to operate, monitor, and perform preventative and demand maintenance on all mechanical operating equipment, building environmental systems, building envelope, and grounds at Sunnyside Home in order to provide a safe, secure, and comfortable environment for residents and staff
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of the building automation systems including HVAC, DDC, pneumatic and variable air volume (VAV) controls, electrical, plumbing, boilers, and water treatment systems, normally acquired through the attainment of a certificate from a recognized building maintenance and operations program such as Class II Building Environmental Systems Operator, plus three years of experience in building operation and maintenance.
• Possesses a Gas Technician II Certificate or equivalent.
• A tuberculosis (TB) test and annual influenza immunization are required.
• Knowledge of Regional, Provincial, and Federal policies and procedures; industry standards; Ontario fire and building codes; municipal by-laws; local utilities standards; Ontario Gas Utilization Code; American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) standards; as well as Provincial and Federal legislation, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Communication skills to work effectively with co-workers and Sunnyside staff; to converse with or provide personal assistance to difficult or agitated clients and family members; to interact appropriately with a geriatric population and have a basic understanding of their needs; to participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Skill in the operation of a personal computer with knowledge of e-mail and software packages such as Siemems BAS, RBH Security and Austco Nurse call system.
• Ability to communicate verbally with the Superintendent, Environment & Maintenance Services and Lead Hand, Maintenance (Sunnyside); to exchange information concerning maintenance needs with the maintenance team and building occupants on a daily basis.
• Ability to write memorandums and reports to Chief Building Operator, Maintenance (Sunnyside); to regularly log equipment readings and general building maintenance information related to preventative maintenance programs; to correspond via e-mail.
• Ability to read blueprints, work orders, technical submissions, and schematics.Must provide an acceptable Police Records Check in order to ensure suitability for working with vulnerable populations.
• A valid class "G" driver’s license and acceptable driving record are required to operate a Regional vehicle.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Sep 23, 2018 quoting competition number 2018-1811, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3