Road Operations Technician - Roads
Waste Management & Road Operations
Road Operations Technician - Roads
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
This position is responsible for coordinating, planning, implementing and assisting in various inspections and maintenance programs for all Regional roads as well as conducting periodic Road Patrols to ensure Halton meets minimum maintenance standards for Municipal Highways (Ontario Regulation 239/02). This position will also ensure that basic needs of the existing road network system are monitored on a consistent basis within the requirements of the provincial regulations.
The ideal candidate will possess a diploma in Construction or Civil Engineering with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience. Strong analytical, organizational, time management, project management and critical problem solving skills are required along with strong customer service skills and a commitment to quality and compliance. The successful candidate must have strong practical knowledge in Civil Engineering principles, practices of Road Maintenance / Traffic Engineering along with comprehensive knowledge of the OPS Standards, TAC Geometric Design Guide, Ontario Traffic Manual (OTM) and Highway Traffic Act (HTA). Excellent computer skills in Route Patrol Manager or other road patrol software, Microsoft Office, databases and GIS applications are required. Registration or eligibility for registration in The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) is required. Proficiency in the use of Hansen, Siebel, and experience with Route Patrol Manager is an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
The successful applicant will be required to occasionally work outside of Halton’s core work hours, may be required to participate as a staff member of after-hours standby and must supply their own transportation at times to travel between locations within Halton Region while possessing and maintaining a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license.
· Schedule and conduct weekly road network inspections in order to identify unknown alterations, and monitor sub contracted patrol services.
· Assist with administration management of the Route Patrol manager system.
· Conduct periodic inspection of issues arising from internal and external inquiries, as well as various asset management and maintenance programs.
· Attends meetings between Road Operations / Development / Capital works project delivery teams to pro-actively review / provide feedback / monitor traffic management plans.
· Assist in the delivery of programs supporting the Region’s asset management program for Road capital assets, noise / retaining wall and bridges / culverts.
· Perform periodic inspection of the Tourist-Oriented Directional Signing (TODS) program.
· Participate in traffic operational and safety assessments (operations and collision analysis) to improve safety and efficiency of new and existing Regional roads.
· Prepare bid reports and or change orders for relevant projects.
· Participate in multi-disciplinary teams that undertake internal and external projects.
· Assist in the delivery of programs supporting the Regions asset management program for Road capital assets, Noise / Retaining Wall and Bridges / Culverts.
· Prepares bid reports and or change orders for relevant projects.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
October 5. 2018
October 19, 2018
Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resources at
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job