Planner - Ecologist
Legislative & Planning Services
Planner - Ecologist
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
Reporting to the Manager, Sustainable Planning this role will apply the science of ecology in conservation, biology, wetland management, natural resource management, urban ecology, community health, economics, basic and applied science in the review of development applications to protect the Natural Heritage System.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in Ecology as well as a minimum of five to seven years of progressive experience in biodiversity and natural heritage planning. An understanding of the municipal planning system ecosystems and groundwater analyses along with a thorough knowledge the Provincial Policy Statement and Natural Heritage Reference Manual is required. Demonstrated experience in conducting complex analyses and presenting information on issues sensitive to the public in a professional manner is also required. Superb oral and written communication skills with strong presentation, influencing and analytical skills and proficiency with MS Office is also required.
Travel will be required between locations within Halton Region. Incumbent must supply their own transportation.
- Support program development with regards to the protection of the Regional Natural Heritage system in the implementation of Regional Official Plan.
- Prepare Regional Guidelines for Environmental Impact Studies, including Terms of Reference for Environmental Impact Assessments to identify matters that need to be addressed.
- Review potential impacts on the ecology of the Natural Heritage System in relation to development applications.
- Implement the Biodiversity Strategy for the Halton Regional Forests.
- Review of environmental reports in support of aggregate applications, Municipal Official Plans and secondary plan, and sub-watershed studies.
- Provide advice on ecological management of Regional woodland resources.
- Prepare and recommend policies for inclusion in the Official Plan for the long term implementation of the Region’s Natural Heritage System.
- Attend Ontario Municipal Board Hearings, Courts and other tribunals to provide expert testimony in the implementation of the Natural Heritage System.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
September 12, 2018
October 3, 2018
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job