Policy Integration & Communications
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time opportunity working 35 hours per week.
Reporting to the Communications Advisor, this role works collaboratively with the Communications Team and program staff, in a very fast-paced environment, to provide communications support to achieve Halton Region’s strategic priorities.
The successful candidate must possess a University Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Administration or equivalent discipline, along with a minimum of three (3) years of public relations, government or related work experience. The successful candidate must have advanced writing and editing skills, including excellent attention to detail. Experience developing large and complex communications and/or marketing plans including implementation is required. This position also requires strong project management skills and resourcefulness along with critical thinking and solution-focused problem solving skills.
Experience and/or knowledge in strategic communications planning in a government environment (Local, Provincial/Territorial, Federal) environment or a large organization is required. The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and priorities and the ability to adapt to changing situations and flexibility is important. The incumbent must also be able to work as part of an interdisciplinary team, with multiple program areas. A positive attitude is highly valued. Strong political acuity and knowledge of the Halton Region community, programs, services and priorities is an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Flexibility in work schedule to perform on-call duties (after work hours and weekends) as part of the rotating on-call schedule, is required.
- Supports the implementation of the Halton Region Communications Strategy and Planned Campaigns. This includes assisting in the development of 14 communications plans and implementing communications tactics or activities required to achieve Halton Region’s strategic priorities and objectives.
- Leads and supports multiple communications projects and manages competing priorities. Uses project management principles and skills to execute key communications deliverables. When appropriate, provides solution-focused options if potential risks or issues are identified.
- Provides weekly updates on status of communications plans and discuss solutions to emerging issues; responsible for escalating issues or advising of emerging issues.
- Researches and prepares communications materials including media releases, speaking notes, newspaper articles, brochures, posters, advertising, reports, presentations and content for corporate communication channels including halton.ca webpages and social media.
- Develops and maintains close and collaborative relationships with program areas across Halton Region. This includes the management and success of communications plans and providing advice and support where necessary.
- Analyzes metrics, stats, data and trends and provides advice on results-based communications approaches.
- Supports the Region and staff/program areas in media relations, issues management, crisis communications and emergency response.
- Coordinates the use of external communications and editorial consultants, where applicable.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
October 11, 2018
October 25, 2018
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job