Assistant Corporate Counsel
Legislative & Planning Services
Assistant Corporate Counsel
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
It’s an exciting time to join Halton’s Legal team as a Planning lawyer!
We are committed to the delivery of high quality services in support of making Halton Region a great place to live, work, raise a family, and retire. We are a supportive, challenging and rewarding place to work where you will be recognized for your accomplishments and contributions, and encouraged to grow and succeed in your career.
Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, this Assistant Corporate Counsel position provides legal support and advice primarily in the area of planning services.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor degree, membership in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada and a minimum of three years of experience in the practice of law. Preference will be given to those with experience in the area of planning and development law and experience representing clients before the Ontario Municipal Board and other planning related tribunals or the courts. A strong working knowledge of relevant statutes including the Municipal Act and Planning Act as well as an understanding of Regional Government structure is required. To succeed in this role, the incumbent must possess excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to build relationships, work collaboratively, maintain composure under pressure and demonstrate sound judgment and tact.
- Represents the Region in planning and development related litigation and mediation before courts and administrative tribunals.
- Researches, analyses, counsels and advises on planning and development related matters.
- Drafts, reviews and co-ordinates legal documents including contracts, reports, by-laws and litigation materials, as required.
- Assists in the supervision of divisional staff and resources and provides direction and control as necessary.
- Responds to the Director of Legal Services’ and clients’ detailed requirements and researches and applies related information to assigned work duties as required.
- Maintains awareness of activities within the Legal Services Division’s scope of operations.
- Prepares outlines and briefs to keep clients and senior management informed accordingly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
May 30, 2018
Open until filled
Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resources at
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job