Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
We are currently hiring for the Summer 2018 semester (May 2018 to August 2018) and the Fall 2018 semester (August 2018 to December 2018).
Reporting to the Associate Dean - Engineering and Environmental Technologies, the incumbent supports technology labs, with specific focus to the Gas Technician / HRAC Technician Program labs, by providing technical support to ensure appropriate safety, design, maintenance, repair, inventory control, and replacement of equipment and resources. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for the maintenance, repair and accounting of all tools and equipment related to the programs of study. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Setting up equipment / supplies in the lab for student practice and other events as required (i.e. Open House Days, events, etc.)
- Troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining equipment (including performing preventative maintenance which includes contracting outside contractors when necessary. These include Domestic Appliances, Forced Air, Hydronic, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and others.
- Performing all required health and safety checks as required by CSA, TSSA regulation and /or industry practices
- Assisting in student laboratory activities to meet course objectives
- Providing input and expertise on capital equipment purchases, location of equipment (lab layout), and ensuring service requirements are met
- Updating and maintaining the Standard Operating Procedures and Hazard Identification documentation
- Researching, constructing and testing new equipment
- Participating in program and college activities as required
Supporting operations includes:
- Orienting and familiarizing students and new faculty on the safe operation of equipment in the learning lab
- Orienting students with shop procedures and observing and monitoring student activities (including cleaning the stations) to ensure the safe operation of equipment and that health and safety standards are maintained
- Ensuring all safety apparatus including guarding, switching, and labeling is maintained in good working order
- Preparing material for student projects
- Ensuring all students receive adequate time with the appropriate equipment
- Maintaining inventory control which includes ensuring lock out and tag out policies are adhered to
- Ensuring continuous cleanliness and housekeeping within the shop, tool crib, and adjacent areas associated with the machine shop
- Creating and maintaining a positive learning environment in a multi-use environment
- Valid TSSA Gas Technician 2 or Gas Technician 1 Certificate
- Refrigeration Mechanic is an asset with familiarity with residential and commercial installations
- A minimum of five years’ experience in field
- Experience performing inventory control duties such as sourcing, ordering, and tracking
- Familiarity with industry standards
- Ability to use the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to life-long learning
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and to foster the same in students
- Demonstrated planning, coordinating and time management skills
- Proven analytical, critical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position by occasionally lifting up to 44 pounds of tools and equipment in the shop and lab. Also required to lift over 44 pounds occasionally with the assistance of lifting devices
This position is open until filled.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Georgian and then to Career Opportunities.