Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
THIS IS AN INITIATIVES / OPPORTUNITIES POSITION. Terms and conditions of employment are as outlined in the Support Staff Collective Agreement.
Reporting to the Manager, Purchasing the incumbent is responsible to ensure the supply of materials to meet job, project and contract requirements and maintain minimum stock levels of long lead time/high risk items to ensure operational continuity. The incumbent will be able to specify and scope common breakdown and maintenance parts and services to meet operational requirements. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Buying equipment, materials, repair and operational supplies and inventory to support College operations and academic areas while ensuring compliance with all legal and health and safety requirements
- Monitoring, maintaining and controlling inventory levels
- Ensuring all purchasing related activities comply with the College’s purchasing procedures and directives
- Conducting spend and trend analysis to assist in the prioritization of facility renewal projects
- Scheduling supply of materials/components to meet service requirements and minimum safety stock levels
- Planning, developing, implementing and evaluating processes for material delivery from supplier to point of repair and/or stock
- Sourcing alternative delivery methods to reduce transportation costs, or expedite emergency purchases
- Understanding and managing supply risks to minimize impact on project schedules
- Expediting materials and take other follow up actions in relations to minimizing/mitigating shortages that can affect project delivery timelines
- Aggregating purchases of MRO across multiple departments to assist the purchasing team with the sourcing of new and renewal supply contracts
- Utilizing any finance system (ERP) or asset management or IT system that is in place and ensure that data is accurate and up to date and resolve any issues as required
- Ensuring all capital equipment orders are properly received and tagged in accordance with the College’s asset management procedures
- Coordinating end of life disposal and sale of surplus equipment with purchasing team
- Developing scope of work and bill of materials requirements with subject matter experts and the Procurement Specialist
- Creating regular statistical reports and analysis and update others in the organization
- Developing and implementing work processes with suppliers
- Identifying opportunities to develop B2B integrations with suppliers and provide recommendations to Procurement Specialist.
- Consulting with the Procurement Specialist on the acquisition of new products and services contracts to meet business needs
- Collaborating with Procurement Specialist on contract management and continual improvement initiatives. Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to forecast, plan and facilitate on-time materials to project schedules as and when required
- Generating and communicating supplier material delivery schedules and forecasts to ensure they reflect requirements and meet demands
- Developing and maintain good relationships with suppliers and ensure demand for materials is met and deliveries made on time
- Negotiating lead times and additional discounts off contracted pricing, where possible
- Supporting assessment and sourcing of suppliers in conjunction with members of the purchasing team
- Supporting supplier meetings and negotiations to ensure demand for materials is met
- Resolving supplier concerns and evaluate supplier performance in conjunction with members of the purchasing team
- Preparing purchasing documentation for the purposes of ordering materials from a supplier. Maintain standing and blanket purchase orders by ensuring contract requirements are maintained.
- Successfully completed a two year postsecondary diploma in a relevant field of study that may include, but is not limited to business or a technical discipline
- Minimum 2 years’ experience buying, scoping, researching parts and materials for electrical, mechanical, HVAC and construction related industries
- Experience managing assets / inventory
- Experience as a front counter parts and or customer service representative at a supply house for construction related industry
- Research and problem solving skills with the ability to locate parts for older equipment in a short turnaround time
- Proven ability to work independently and within a team
- Experience and knowledge in computer programs including Microsoft Office, internet research, financial information system (preferably PeopleSoft) and or inventory control systems
- Ability to pull reports from various systems
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, planning and organizational skills
- Communication skills (written and oral) to build relationships whit internal and external stakeholders
- SCMA, CPPB. or CPIM designations would bean asset
- Project management skills would be an asset
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.