Assistant, Habitat Restoration
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Assistant, Habitat Restoration
Summary of Functions
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
CVC has a strong history of working with landowners and other partners to further the conservation and restoration of the Credit River Watershed. Through the support of our watershed municipalities and others we are able to offer a wide and growing range of stewardship services to our rural and urban communities. You can be part of this dynamic and committed team as part of our Terrestrial Restoration and Management Program.
This position is primarily responsible for planting trees, shrubs and seedlings through both the CVC Naturalization and Reforestation programs and assists with the collection of forest inventory and other monitoring data. This position also supports the production and maintenance of tree and shrub stock in the CVC Nursery and other duties as assigned. These positions will be based out of the Warwick CVC Nursery and Workshop, 15526 Heart Lake Road, Caledon.
- Post-secondary studies in Forestry, Horticulture, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science or Biology is preferred
- Outdoor work experience in nursery operation, tree planting, habitat restoration or forestry
- Experience with the safe operation of farm and landscape equipment
- Experience in the collection of field data
- Tree, shrub and plant identification skills an asset.
- Valid class “G” Ontario Drivers License required
- All candidates should have access to reliable transportation
- Candidates should be prepared for outdoor work away from amenities on a daily basis
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under limited direction.
- Working as part of a team planting reforestation seedlings, shrubs and trees in various natural environments on public and private lands
- Nursery duties include but is not limited to: potting, watering, weeding, and general care of nursery stock
- Safe operation of mechanical equipment including: farm tractors, weed trimmer, ATV, water pumps, loading trailers
- Collecting forest inventory data to update CVC forest management plans
- Collecting performance monitoring data on previous restoration projects
- Assisting with site preparation of planting sites, including invasive plant species control
- Conducting work in a safe manner, ensuring that all CVC heath and safety policies and procedures are adhered to at all times
- Providing excellent customer service
- Anticipated Start and End Dates:
- September 4 – October 31, 2018 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $14.64 per hour
Forward resume by August 26, 2018 to:
Credit Valley Conservation
Fax: (905) 670-5613 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote "Assistant, Habitat Restoration" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.Apply for this job